The original Salisbury steak was named after a popular late-19th-century diet doctor who recommended a high-protein diet. This version only resembles the classic in name and shape. Ted and I really enjoyed this a lot, we love our beef meals as they are pretty limited. I served them on top of Asian, thick noodles with a spicy sauce and stir fried diced veggies. This meal was elegant to look at and tasted fantastic!
Serves 4 Ready in 30 minutes
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 bunches or 2 4-ounce bags watercress, trimmed (16 cups)
- 1/2 cup Shao Hsing rice wine, (see Ingredient note) or dry sherry
- 1 Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat the broiler. Coat a broiler pan and rack with cooking spray.
- 2 Gently mix beef, bell pepper, scallions, breadcrumbs, 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce and ginger in a medium bowl until just combined. Form the mixture into 4 oblong patties and place on the broiler-pan rack. Brush the tops of the patties with 1 teaspoon oil. Broil, flipping once, until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- 3 Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add watercress and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, 1 to 3 minutes. Divide the watercress among 4 plates. Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add rice wine (or sherry) and the remaining 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce and stir until smooth, bubbling and slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Top the watercress with the Salisbury steaks and drizzle with the pan sauce.
- Ingredient Note: Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets’ Asian sections.
- Per serving: 305 calories; 13 g fat(4 g sat); 2 g fiber; 18 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 50 mcg folate; 56 mg cholesterol; 6 g sugars; 4 g added sugars; 2884 IU vitamin A; 64 mg vitamin C; 113 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 392 mg sodium; 623 mg potassium