This was a very wonderful, easy to make and tasty appetizer. I am always looking for healthy but tasty treats to have for our date night snacks. We are fans of sun dried tomatoes and asparagus, they just seem to go together so well. These would be great for a wedding or baby shower too!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted according to package instructions
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 12 asparagus tips, cut to 1 inch long
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Dust a clean surface with the flour.
- Roll out the puff pastry using a rolling pin to 13 x 12 inches square.
- Using a pizza cutter, or large knife, cut a 1-inch strip from the longer 13 inch length.
- Cut the strip into 2 1/2 inch long strips that are about 1/8 inch thick. Set off to the side.
- Cut the pastry into 2 x 2 inch squares.
- Add the egg and milk to a small bowl and beat until mixed.
- Working with the pastry square in a diamond shape on the board, add 1/2 teaspoon of pesto to the center of each square.
- Place 1 asparagus tip facing to the left corner and another to the right corner.
- Brush egg was on the corner furthest from you.
- Fold the corner closest to you over the asparagus to the center, then bring the egg washed corner over and glue to the center.
- Place 1 strip of pastry in the center of your hand and lay a pastry package in the center.
- Brush each end of the strip with egg wash.
- Bring both ends to the package and glue them to the package, this is the underside so it doesn’t have to look pretty.
- Place the package onto the parchment covered baking sheet.
- Once they are all done, brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Original Recipe from Culinary Ginger