A super low calorie dinner thats healthy and tasty! Try this tasty Bacon Cheddar Quiche
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 medium sweet potatoes
6 ounces center cut bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup diced onion (about 1 small yellow onion)
6 ounces baby spinach
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 large eggs
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
chives for garnish, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Peel sweet potatoes and slice very thinly – using a mandolin if possible. Layer sweet potatoes into pie plate, overlapping to completely cover the bottom of the pie plate. To create side of crust, trim the sweet potato slices so they are flat on one side and continue to line the edges of the pie plate, overlapping slices. Continue this process until the pie plate is completely covered (you want it 5-7 layers thick). Spray again with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
3. Bake sweet potato crust for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Meanwhile, fry bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crispy. Remove bacon pieces to a paper towel lined plate, reserving 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in pan. Keeping heat on medium, add onion to bacon grease and cook until translucent. Add spinach, cover for 1-2 minutes, and then stir until spinach is wilted.
5. Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl with salt and pepper until combined.
6. When crust is pre-baked, remove from oven, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Carefully fill crust with spinach mixture. Sprinkle bacon on top of spinach and cheese on top of the bacon. Pour egg mixture over spinach, bacon and cheese. If you have too much egg mixture, discard (this will depend on the size of your pie plate and how deep you made your crust).
8.Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle. Cool slightly (5 minutes) before slicing and serving.