Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps

While most people would agree that Mexican food is delicious, it’s often portrayed as being unhealthy. There’s no doubt that some dishes can be higher in calories or fat content, but there are many that can fit well into balanced diet. Our family has been making a lot of healthier lifestyle changes, so I’ve been adding better options, like grilled fajitas, into our menu plan. There is other tips and tricks I’ve learned too, like making substitutions to our previous family favorites.

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 medium onion, diced

1 pound Laura’s 92% Lean Ground Beef

1/2 cup sweet peppers, diced (mini peppers or bell peppers)

taco seasoning (recipe below)

3-4 tablespoons water

Salt, to taste

1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated

Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, salsa

Taco Seasoning

1 tablespoon chili powder

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

½ teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon cumin

Instructions

1. In a small bowl, mix together taco seasoning ingredients and set aside.

2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onions together in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is browned and nearly fully cooked. Add peppers to meat mixture and continue to cook until meat is fully cooked and peppers are tender-crisp.

3. Sprinkle meat mixture with approximately 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning (using less or more depending on personal tastes). Save remaining taco seasoning for another meal. Drizzle water over seasoning and stir to combine with meat. Season with salt to taste, if desired. Remove from meat when meat is hot and seasoned.

4. To serve, place 2-3 butter lettuce leaves on a individual plates. Spoon some of mixture mixture into centers of leaves. Top with optional toppings, if you wish.

Nutritional Information:

Calories 147; Total Fat 7 g, 11 %; Saturated Fat 3 g, 16 %; Monounsaturated Fat 0 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 48 mg, 16 %; Sodium 92 mg, 4 %; Potassium 120 mg, 3 %; Total Carbohydrate 4 g, 1 %; Dietary Fiber 1 g, 4 %; Sugars 2 g; Protein 18 g, 35 %; Vitamin A 33 %; Vitamin C 42 %; Calcium 2 %; Iron 19 % – See more at: https://www.laurasleanbeef.com/blog/lauras-lean-blog/2015/06/29/beef-taco-lettuce-wraps#sthash.vBqwvwiF.kSj3F80T.dpuf

print

Published by