Skip the takeout and make these easy, healthy gyros at home. Lean chicken breast is flavored with classic gyro seasonings and tucked into a whole-wheat pita with veggies and a cool tzatziki sauce. Ted and I really enjoyed these and next time, I will add feta crumbles and diced cucumbers. We will be doing these again, delicious!
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into ½-inch-wide strips
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 4 tablespoons tzatziki
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- 1 Combine lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in an 8-inch glass baking dish. Add chicken and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator, stirring once, for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- 2 Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
- 3 Transfer the chicken to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil on the upper rack until no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, combine lettuce, tomato and onion in a medium bowl.
- 5 To serve, spread 1 tablespoon tzatziki on each warmed pita and top with the chicken and the salad.
- To make ahead: Marinate chicken (Step 1) for up to 2 hours.
- Serving size: 1 pita with ⅔ cup each chicken & salad
- Per serving: 396 calories; 12 g fat(2 g sat); 5 g fiber; 40 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 58 mcg folate; 85 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,328 IU vitamin A; 12 mg vitamin C; 47 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 549 mg sodium; 628 mg potassium.
Original recipe from Eating Well