This Mexican casserole has an amazing crust. This was very easy to make tasted delicious. Ted and I have tried a lot of recipes that usually have beef but this was with chicken and it was terrific. We topped it with sour cream, scallion and I wished that I had gotten black olives and jalapenos for the top too…..next time!
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped green onions, tomatoes and avocado, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, combine chicken, enchilada sauce, cumin and onion powder; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spread over corn bread layer; sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake until cheese is melted, 10-12 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with green onions, tomatoes and avocado. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece (calculated without optional toppings): 364 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.