This healthy recipe for crispy chicken schnitzel involves coating the chicken breasts with fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs and oven “frying” using a mist of olive oil cooking spray instead of frying in lots of oil. Ted and I both enjoyed this so much! It was delicious. I served it with a sweet potato on the side it was a perfect match!
- 2 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- ¼ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, parsley and chives
- 1 Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2 Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally. Cover with a large piece of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even ¼-inch thickness. Sprinkle the chicken with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- 3 Place flour in one shallow dish and eggs in another. Zest lemon and combine the zest with breadcrumbs in a third shallow dish. (Slice the lemon for serving; set aside.) Coat both sides of the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in egg. Coat on both sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing to help them stick. Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Coat on both sides with cooking spray.
- 4 Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 5 Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add oil and shallot; cook for 30 seconds more. Remove from heat; add herbs and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve the chicken with the herb sauce and lemon slices.
- Serving size: 1 cutlet & 1 Tbsp. sauce
- Per serving: 320 calories; 15 g fat(6 g sat); 2 g fiber; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 27 mcg folate; 140 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 1 g added sugars; 479 IU vitamin A; 7 mg vitamin C; 71 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 487 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium