This recipe is a great way to use some of the past prime bananas left from the week.
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot, strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups mashed overripe bananas, (about 4)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- 2Dissolve brown sugar in coffee in a bowl. Stir in bananas. Whisk together egg, egg white, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the banana mixture. Whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add to the banana mixture and stir just until combined.
- 3 Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the loaf onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Per serving: 182 calories; 4 g fat(0 g sat); 2 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 12 mcg folate; 16 mg cholesterol; 16 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 42 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 34 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 207 mg sodium; 180 mg potassium
From Eating Well