“This easy chicken-and-asparagus sauté is boldly seasoned with aromatic cumin and fennel; the seeds are toasted in a skillet before grinding to bring out the most flavor. I love the smell of this dish while it was cooking. Very tasty and healthy recipe, we enjoyed it a lot.
- 1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1½ teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small fresh chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1½ bunches asparagus (about 1½ pounds), woody ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup “lite” coconut milk (see Tip)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Toast cumin and fennel seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Finely grind in a spice grinder (such as a clean coffee grinder) or with a mortar and pestle.
- 2 Toss chicken with 1½ teaspoons of the spice mixture and ¼ teaspoon salt in a bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- 3 Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, garlic, chile and ginger; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add asparagus, sprinkle with the remaining spice mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and simmer for 2 minutes more. Return the chicken and any accumulated juice to the pan and cook until the chicken is just cooked through and the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
- Tip: Refrigerate leftover coconut milk for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months. It will appear separated when thawed; simply mix until smooth.
- Serving size: about 1 cup
- Per serving: 249 calories; 12 g fat(3 g sat); 3 g fiber; 9 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 136 mcg folate; 63 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,043 IU vitamin A; 14 mg vitamin C; 59 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 514 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium