Tonight, our taste buds were happy! This recipe made me and Ted think if a Chicken Gyro. It was so fresh and very Mediterranean too!. I love that Greek yogurt and some great spices can make such a tasty sauce too! I think we may try this again with thin slices of steak next time. It was great!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala , (see Tip), divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- ¾ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro , or mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- 2 If grilling, oil the grill rack (see Tip). If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- 3 Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon garam masala and ½ teaspoon salt. Place the chicken on the grill rack or prepared pan and cook until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, cilantro (or mint), lemon juice, the remaining ½ teaspoon garam masala and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and fill with the chicken, yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Refrigerate the chicken in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Tips: Garam masala is a blend of spices used in Indian cooking. It is available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- Per serving: 340 calories 5 g fat(1 g sat); 6 g fiber; 44 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 58 mcg folate; 64 mg cholesterol; 6 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1371 IU vitamin A; 15 mg vitamin C; 126 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 591 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium