This recipe was fun to put together! The smell of the basil pesto filled the house with a wonderful aroma. We love the smell of fresh herbs. The tomatoes were great, but I would prefer beefsteak and they were not available yet and we do not have our own ready yet. The mixture was delicious and filling. If you liked stuffed peppers this filling would be great that way too!
1 cup Quinoa dry
1 cup Chicken broth
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1 pkg. Italian Chicken Sausagesliced lengthwise
2 cups Baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
1 cup Basil pesto
4 large Beefsteak tomatoes
4 tbsp. Boar’s Head Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring quinoa and chicken broth to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté Chicken Sausage until browned.
- Add spinach and cook until the leaves wilt.
- Combine the sausage, spinach, quinoa, and pesto in a large bowl and set aside.
- Slice off the tops of the tomatoes and clean out the inside of the tomatoes.
- Fill each tomato with the quinoa-sausage filling.
- Place each on a deep baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Top with grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese.
Each tomato with about 1 cup of filling is about 325 on calories