This recipe captures the simplicity found in sun-drenched Mediterranean cuisine, these braised chicken breasts melt under the influence of bright, vibrant lemon, briny olives and capers, and juicy plum tomatoes. Serve with rosemary mashed potatoes or over hot basmati rice. Enjoy!
- 1 small lemon
- 1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved (12 olives)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 6 chicken breasts (about 3 pounds), skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
How to Make It
Grate rind and squeeze juice from lemon to measure 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon, respectively. Place lemon rind in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Combine lemon juice, onion, and next 3 ingredients (through tomatoes) in a 5-quart electric slow cooker.
Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Place half of chicken in pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place chicken in slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until chicken is done.
Place chicken breasts on plates. Stir reserved lemon rind into sauce. Serve sauce over chicken. Garnish with rosemary and parsley, if desired.
- calories 220
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 8.9 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- monofat 4.4 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 26.5 g
- carbohydrate 7.2 g
- fiber 1.4 g
- cholesterol 107 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 387 mg
- calcium 35 mg