This was a very quick and easy recipe! It was very cheesy and filling too! The taste of the Italian sausage and peppers put a twist on plain mac and cheese! It was very tasty and I think you could add more to it to beef it up….maybe some onions, mushrooms and or fresh herbs.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 bell red pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups dried elbow macaroni (half a package, 8 oz.) (GF)
- 18 oz marinara sauce
- 18 oz water
- 1/3 cup half and half (Fat Free)
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese (or increase to 1/2 cup)
- In a large skillet cook sausage on medium heat, until meat is brown. Drain off fat.
- Add diced bell peppers, dried elbow macaroni, marinara sauce, and water. Bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes until macaroni is tender, occasionally stirring.
- Add half and half, sprinkle with cheese, and mix everything well. Remove from heat, cover and let it sit for about 2 minutes or until cheese melts.