There is no way to explain how much this felt like comfort food! It was covered with melted cheese, bread crumbs (gluten free) and diced ham….just enough herbs to make it over the top with flavor! One serving is 245 calories. I served it with mashed polenta and steamed carrots keeping this dinner fast to make and low calorie all the way around, its a keeper! Ted’s plate was spotless!Ingredients :
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or thyme
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped ham (about 1 ounce)
Active Ready In
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. Combine cheese and cream cheese in a bowl. Combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper with breadcrumbs, parsley (or thyme) and 2 teaspoons oil in another bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large, ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Move the chicken to the center so all pieces are touching. Spread with the cheese mixture, sprinkle with ham, then top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer registers 165 °F, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Tip: It can be difficult to find small chicken breasts. Remove the strip of meat from the underside of a 5- to 6-ounce breast—the “tender,” about 1 ounce of meat—to yield a perfect individual portion. Freeze the tenders and use them in a stir-fry.