This recipe Roasted Pepper-&-Cheese Stuffed Chicken was fabulous! Ted cleaned his plate and told me ” That was delicious!” I love that he has enjoyed all these recipes this year, especially because we have ate a lot of chicken. The recipe was easy to make and I used short bamboo appetizer sticks to keep them sealed while cooking…..they held their shape and look gorgeous when done.
Serves 4 30 to 40 minutes to make
- 1/3 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces whole-wheat orzo (about 1 cup dry)
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 lemon wedges, for serving
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 °F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2 Combine roasted peppers and provolone in a small bowl. Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of each chicken breast, nearly through to the opposite side. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon pepper, salt and oregano. Fill each chicken breast “pocket” with half of the cheese mixture, and press the edges together to seal. Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- 3 Bake the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165 °F, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions. Drain; transfer to a bowl and toss with olives, the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 5 Steam broccoli over 1 inch of boiling water in a pot fit with a steamer basket until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with butter.
- 6 Cut each chicken breast in half and serve with the orzo, the broccoli and lemon wedges, if desired.
- Serving size: 1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 cup orzo & about 1 1/4 cups broccoli
- Per serving: 501 calories; 20 g fat(7 g sat); 10 g fiber; 38 g carbohydrates; 39 g protein; 68 mcg folate; 98 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 3215 IU vitamin A; 84 mg vitamin C; 124 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 649 mg sodium; 544 mg potassium