This recipe was really very much like an original pasta dish from Italy. Not all pasta dishes have a sauce and this is one. I loved the combination of ingredients, they go together so well. Ted and I really enjoyed this a lot. It was easy to make after work and quick to the table too! I topped with shaved parmesan and it was Delicious!
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 Jar roasted red peppers drained and diced
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 3 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s), sliced
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), spicy-Italian flavor
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cup(s) cooked gluten free pasta, penne, kept hot
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add roasted red pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Remove turkey from casings; add turkey to skillet and brown until no longer pink, stirring occasionally, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 6 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and oregano; stir in tomatoes. Simmer until heated through and to allow flavors to blend, about 5 minutes.
Spoon penne into a deep serving bowl; top with sausage mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.