This is the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner! This recipe for firecracker chicken is easy to make and tastes salty, sweet, and spicy! Serve it over a bed of rice and with lots of firecracker sauce! I will tell you it was on the warm side so if you are not a fan of food with some heat you may want to use less sauce. It really was delicious and my husband was in love with this recipe!
- FIRECRACKER SAUCE:
- ½ cup hot sauce (I used Franks Original Hot Sauce)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- [b]FIRECRACKER SAUCE: In a sauce pan, combine the hot sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes over medium high heat. Allow to come to a boil, reduce the heat so it simmers. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes (if you plan on making this sauce ahead of time) or for 12-15 minutes if you’re serving immediately. Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool. The sauce will thicken as it cools so don’t worry if it looks thin.
- [CHICKEN: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat, set aside. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Heat a skillet with the oil over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts and allow to cook for just 1-2 minute per side. We’re just searing the very outside of the chicken, so don’t worry about it cooking all the way through. Place the chicken breast on the prepared baking sheet and bake the chicken for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, baste each chicken breast with 1-2 tablespoons of firecracker sauce. You will have additional sauce leftover to serve with the chicken. Place the chicken back into the oven and continue to bake for another 11-15 minutes or until the chicken is done. There maybe some extra sauce to use for dipping.