This morning the house was nice and cool after being without AC for a couple days. I was happy to get back to cooking. This recipe looked so tasty, I had to make it. Its full of great flavors and is super healthy!
- 12 ounces of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Additional bacon fat, lard, ghee, or coconut oil
- 5 cups diced sweet potatoes (about a 1/2 inch dice)
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- Black pepper to taste
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, cook the bacon pieces over medium-low heat until crisp (cooking the bacon at a lower temperature will render more fat).
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked bacon from the pan. Set aside. There should be enough rendered bacon fat to coat the entire bottom of the skillet, about 1/8 inch deep. If your bacon didn’t render this much fat (it can vary from brand to brand), add additional bacon fat, lard, ghee, or coconut oil to your skillet until there is 1/8 inch of fat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Increase heat to medium-high and carefully place the diced sweet potatoes in the hot oil. Cook the sweet potatoes without stirring until the bottom of the cubes start to turn golden brown (this can take several minutes). Stir and cook until the cubes just start to soften.
- Increase heat to high and add the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper to the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are just starting to soften.
- Stir in bacon pieces. Remove from heat.
- Make 6 wells in the potato and veggie mixture; break one egg into each well. Place skillet in the oven and bake for 9-14 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Serve immediately.
You can easily swap out the zucchini in this recipe for whatever veggies you’d like. I did not have fresh mushrooms but would have loved to try them in this recipe for sure! ENJOY!