This recipe for Turkey Chili Stuffed Acorn Squash, was super healthy and low calorie. Ted and I both enjoyed it and I was surprised that it was only 2 freestyle points, now that extra lean ground turkey is on the zero points list. We will definitely have this again!
- 2 acorn squash, halved, seeded
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 ounces canned Rotel mild tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons shredded sharp cheese (omit for Whole 30 and dairy free)
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place squash halves on the baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake until soft, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- When meat is browned and cooked through add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the can of Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat about 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf, flip the squash over and fill each half with 3/4 cup chili.
- Top with cheese and bake until melted, about 5 minutes. Top with cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 stuffed half
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 2
- Smart Points: 5
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Sodium: 650mg
- Carbohydrates: 29.5g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Protein: 28g
Original Recipe from skinny taste