This recipe, caught my eye. Although, Ted and I are not vegan, often vegan or vegetarian recipes just sound good, so we try them. We really have learned so much this year about trying new things and not ruling out anything. In doing so, we have found that there are so many more things we love than we even knew. These sandwiches were like a whole new twist on grilled cheese!
Make 2 sandwiches
4 slices of bread (GF)
1 cup chickpeas
2 spring onions
1/2 cup sweetcorn
3 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
Pinch of salt & pepper
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup vegan cheese grated
1 tbsp. vegan margarine
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, transfer to a mixing bowl and mash until all the chickpeas are broken down.
2. Add the spring onion, sweetcorn, vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt & pepper, and combine.
3. Next, take 2 slices of bread and spread 2 tbsp. of the chickpea mixture on top of each slice.
4. Add 1/4 cup of vegan cheese to each slice of bread and top with a second slice.
5. Next, spread vegan margarine on the outside of the top slice of bread.
6. Place a pan on a medium heat. Wait until the pan is hot before frying the first sandwich (margarine side down) for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
7. While the sandwich is frying, carefully spread margarine on the top slice of bread.
8. Flip the sandwich over and fry for a further 5 minutes.
9. Remove from the pan and repeat for the remaining sandwich.